Mission Statement — 2018
One Small Thing PDX is a local grassroots organization with a mission of utilizing members’ skills and relationships to advance and sustain actions that encourage progressive legislation and support progressive issues. We also support the election of progressive candidates at local, state and federal levels.
Our guiding principle is the belief that an individual, regularly doing one small thing, can make a big difference in our country’s future. One Small Thing PDX is a registered member of the national organization, Indivisible.
What we do:
- Meet regularly to strengthen our community and amplify our efforts
- Identify issues that connect with our passions and lead to action
- Enhance our civic education by hosting guest experts and sharing member knowledge
- Build our skills in order to become more effective and efficient activists
- Organize people to actively support progressive legislation, causes and candidates
- Adhere to non-violent action, inclusivity, diversity and fairness for all
One Small Thing PDX is a registered member of national organization, Indivisible.
Goals for 2018
In order to build a cadre of progressive activists, we will organize people to actively support progressive candidates and issues by doing the following:
- Hold monthly meetings with a keynote speaker or panel that educates citizens about an important current issue from January through June and between September and November.
- Use small action-focused groups at our meetings to spotlight issues and actions that need to be taken by individuals, e.g. writing postcards, calling leaders, attending a hearing or meeting, contributing financial resources:
- These small groups may act as a clearinghouse to direct people to other organizations and projects, or
- They may become ad hoc action groups focused on a particular issue or candidate. May require a volunteer leader for a period of time.
- Develop a process for deciding whether and how OSTPDX will endorse issues or candidates for 2018.
- Coordinate with other grassroots groups to amplify our message and theirs
- Continue our newsletter and build our membership to 500 people
- Increase diversity of our group in creative ways; possibly finding how to support groups who represent diversity, i.e. Color PAC, NAACP, NAYA, OPAL, Verde, Latino Network or taking these groups an issue and finding out their perspective on it.
- Build a sense of community and mutual support among our members and sister organizations.
- Celebrate our victories.